Which of the following is not a step in the initiative process?
- approval of initiative petition by state or local government
- collection of signatures
- state-wide vote during a ballot election
- signature or veto by state governor
A referendum is not purely direct democracy because the ________.
- voters propose something but the governor approves it
- voters propose and approve something but the legislature also approves it
- government proposes something and the voters approve it
- government proposes something and the legislature approves it
What problems would a voter face when trying to pass an initiative or recall?
Why do some argue that direct democracy is simply a way for the wealthy and businesses to get their own policies passed?
People of means can easily form interest groups to propose initiatives/recalls and that have the resources to pay for signature collection.